Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Paris Day 2, Versailles Day 1, and Rome Day 1

Okay.. so I haven't had a computer around and unfortunately these internet cafes don't have slots for my memory card. That means no pictures, but let me fill you in on the excitment we have seen the past three days.  Our second day in Paris was just as great as the first! We wanted to go see the Moulin Rouge and so we took the metro there first, and we met some tourists from Texas, it felt good to talk in English with someone who really understands you. Next we went to an area where there are all these street painters. They are random artists that do paintings of the Eiffel tower or the Arche... etc. Sheryl and Em bartered their paintings way down and they are beautiful. I didn't really see any that caught my eye so I came back empty handed. Then we went to the Champs de Elysses where the Arche de Triumph is and shopped!! It was lots of walking and lots of fun! We also went to the Eiffel Tower again at night to see it sparkle which is an incredible sight.
The next day we decided we had seen the major sites in Paris and traveled by nasty train to Versailles where there is an enormous Palace where Louis XIV lived. He was just as vain as Napoleon. SO GAUDY... but great for charging 15 € and walking around his old Palace in complete awe.  After we got back to Paris I mentioned to the girls that I wanted to see the sister Statue of Liberty. Emily had no idea that there was another in France. I only knew because of National Treasure (Literature and Media can teach you many things!) We found this quaint little walkway leading away from the staute towards the Eiffel Tower that we strolled on and I loved the peaceful atmosphere there. We flew out to Rome that night and WHAT AN EXPERIENCE THAT WAS! First, our taxi driver from our hotel in Paris didn't want to take us to the airport because it was far away but I used my charm and got him to agree anyways. We got there just as the gate was closing (oh, the taxi cost 180€... ridiculous but we were the idiots who booked a flight on the farthest Paris airport.) So in Europe they don't let you in when the gates close, no exceptions... unless.... our flight got delayed. THANKFULLY IT DID! So we checked our baggage and got through the securtiy and had an hour before our plane left. Thank you Jesus.
Our Hotel in Rome the first night was a 4 star and very nice compared to some of the others we had been in... AND WE EACH HAD OUR OWN BED! what a luxury. The next day (which is today) we got up and checked in to our next hotel, a bed and breakfast right next to the Vatican; then we went to the Vatican and saw the Sistine Chapel. WHAT A SIGHT TO BEHOLD! Just to think that Michelangelo painted that whole area (with some help) was hard to really comprehend. I really liked seeing all the biblical names and realized that there are a lot that are unfamilar to me, I'm guessing because they are books that were left out when the King James version was comprised.
That brings me to now. Right now I am sitting in a scary internet cafe while my clothes (garments included) are getting washed, dried, and folded by some immigrants down the street. I really don't even care... I AM IN ITALIA! oh... Melanie, I had some Chocolato Gelato for you already. I'll try to sneak some back for you sis.

Sidenote: If you want to feel beautiful girls here is some advice: go to Italy. The men here are all about flirting and telling you how beautiful you are. I love it. I want to live here, the culture is so different. The French were not all that impressive to me, no manners but nice when you needed help. I will say that I LOVE LOVE LOVE Englishmen. They are all gentlemen and I liked the way they dressed there, with their coats collar up and fitted clothing. Chivalry isn't dead there either, which is always refreshing to know. CIAO!

2 comments:

  1. I am the most jealous person on the planet right now. ITALY!!!! I want to go there so badly! Thanks for writing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha!! I just barely found out you had this blog. Your commentary is bringing back so many memories. We loved London and adored Italy too!!! And that gelato-- You must eat as much as possible for me and the baby-- YUM!! i'm so glad you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete